Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Guy's Been Dead for What ... 15 Years?

Every morning I listen to Kevin and Bean on KROQ during my morning commute. I wouldn't call myself a "Kevin and Bean Listener" because that implies I spend most of my day smoking pot and playing video games. I don't. But I do enjoy the show.

And every day they play a Sublime song. It might be "Date Rape" or "What I Got" or "Wrong Way" or "Santeria." I didn't like Sublime back in the early 90's when they were new and Bradley Nowell hadn't yet killed himself with a heroin overdose. The passing years haven't caused me to love them anymore. The daily dose of Sublime on the Kevin and Bean Show is my cue to switch over to NPR.

You're thinking "No problem." I'm a mature listener who can change the channel on my radio. True.

The problem is that I get caught up in whatever story is on NPR. I start listening to a piece on an outbreak of malaria in sub-Saharan Africa or one on a young Palestinian girl trying to attend school in spite of the fighting in her town and miss an entertaining break on KROQ. Malaria and the plight of Palestinian school-children might be important but they're not Federleezy, "Brow Down", or Loquisha.

And don't get me started on the daily Red Hot Chili Peppers' song.

2 comments:

escamillaweddings said...

i listen to kevin and bean every day too! i switch off between them and adam corolla.



and yeah...waaaaaay too much chili peppers goin on.

bean said...

i totally agree.....KROQ does test their music though and something like eight out of the top ten most popular songs we play are by the chili peppers and sublime.

believe me, we would not be playing them unless the audience told us that is what they want to hear. obviously.

enjoyed the post today....thanks for the shout out.

bean