Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mis-Steps of the Relationship Kind

I mentioned Barbara in my last post. She was a girl who started attending my church right around the end of my senior year in high school. I thought she was cute. Really cute.

Barbara was a couple of years younger than me. She lived with her mother and step-dad. She went to a Catholic girl's school. How cool is that?

Anyway, Barbara and I had a lot in common. We liked the same music and... Okay, we had nothing in common except we liked the same music. But when you're a young man, who cares about minor obstacles like that.

Barbara and I both liked Depeche Mode. As luck would have it, Depeche Mode was playing a concert at the Rose Bowl. My friends Greg and Eric, my sisters and I had tickets for the show. Barbara's mom bought her a pair of tickets.

Barbara wanted to sit with me at the show. That was cool except for one thing. I was certain my tickets were closer to the stage. I didn't want to sit with her if her seats weren't as good as mine. My friend Greg volunteered sit with her.

It turned out her seats were the same distance from the stage as mine. They were just on the other side of the stadium. We could have had a lovely time. Together. But we didn't.

I was a self-centered ass.

And not for the last time.

No comments: