Thursday, May 22, 2008

I Love "Snatch"

Once upon a time there was a young movie director from England. His name was Guy Ritchie. He made funny, violent movies about the English criminal underworld. And then he changed his last name to Ciccone.

He hasn't done much since.

His masterpiece is "Snatch" a caper film about an unlicensed bare-knuckle boxing promoter named Turkish (Jason Statham). Turkish needs to buy a new caravan to replace his broken down old one so he sends his partner, Tommy, and boxer Gorgeous off to a Pikey encampment to buy a newer one.

Things fall apart.

Did I mention the diamond heist in Antwerp? Did I mention Bricktop, a pig farming gangster? What about the Russian? Or Brad Pitt as the incomprehensible Pikey bare knuckle boxing champion. What about....?

I could go on and on.

The plot twists and turns as it eventually comes together. People get hurt. People die. And who can forget the unforgettable line "All... bets... are... off."

I love this movie. I saw it with Tabitha in the theater and I have watched the DVD at least a dozen times. I have seen this movie more than any other.

I'm waiting for Guy Ciccone to make its equal. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While snatch was a great flick, His first movie Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels totally defined him and his film making style. Snatch seemed to be a cleaned up American version that more people could understand. Lock Stock was a great break through that really demonstrated a unique film. I do agree that Madge has totally ruined him. His cast away remake was appalling!

TimB said...

I prefer "Snatch" only because I saw it first. "Lock, Stock" is a great movie. It deals a little more with class than "Snatch." I love the cannabis growers. Dog is a right bastard.

And if I said "I love Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" it... well.. you know.