Monday, December 29, 2008

It's Like a Sedan, Only More

I've got this thing for station wagons. It might come from riding in the back of a Ford Country Squire emblazoned with fake wood whilst a young lad, or perhaps those happy moments piloting our 1972 Pontiac Le Mans station wagon - also emblazoned with fake wood - while in high school. That heap would spin its tires all day long.

Station wagons have gone the way of the California Condor in this country: not extinct but very rare.
Anyway, I own a station wagon that I love. There weren't many choices when I was in the market. Audi, BMW, Volvo, and Mercedes cover the high end of station wagon offerings while Subaru, VW, and Mazda cover the medium end of the market. I bought a VW that does not have fake wood on the sides.


Even though my VW has a top speed around 140 miles an hour I can't help but feel that something is missing. Like 372 horsepower. Therefore, my new dream car is the Audi RS6 Avant.



Photo stolen from carmagazine.co.uk

This Audi hot rod packs a twin turbocharged V-10 with 572 horsepower under its hood. It's a version of the motor in the Lamborghini freaking Gallardo. It's all wheel drive and it looks awesome in blue. The reports in the magazine say it's not very agile on narrow, twisty roads. I don't care. I drive the freeway. This car is a rocket.

And it's a station wagon.

What is the Corvette driver going to do when he gets smoked by a station wagon with child seats in the back? I'm guessing he's going to cry.

There's a problem. There's always a problem with cars that I want. It sells for about 150,000 dollars in England. And Audi is not selling it here in the USA.

Apparently Americans don't know a good thing when they see one. I guess the market for 150,000 dollar super-station wagons is too small.

No comments: