Monday, February 2, 2009

Sixty-One is Not Very Old

I went to a house the other night because a sixty-one year old woman was in full arrest (no breathing, no pulse). When I arrived, she was lying in the entry-way of the home and the firefighters were doing chest compressions.

I knew she was dead when I walked in the door.

The firefighters worked on her for about twenty minutes before taking her to the hospital. The entire time, her husband watched the scene with concern and disbelief in his eyes.

This woman was the same age as my parents.

As they put her in the ambulance, the husband said he should call his kids.

Later, I thought about what it would be like for him to return to the empty house where hours before his wife was asleep in bed next to him.

Death is inevitable, but it doesn't make it any less sad.

No comments: