Sunday, September 28, 2008

How Did This Happen?

I've tried to be a progressive parent committed to the non-violent resolution of conflict. I don't watch gratuitously violent movies, play bloody video games or allow my children to watch violent cartoons.

And yet I have a two-year-old son who runs around the house yelling "Pam, pam, pam."

The only toy gun he has is a Buzz Lightyear laser pistol and he doesn't even play with it. But every "L" shaped object in the house becomes a gun.

"Pam, pam, pam." He chases the poor old cats and shoots them.

"Pam, pam, pam." He intrudes upon my quiet time in the bathroom and shoots me.

"Pam, pam, pam." He shoots his big sister.

"Don't even think about it mister." He even tries to shoot his mother.

Do we have a proto-serial killer in our midst? Is he going to grow up to be a drive-by shootin' gangster? Is he going to be a flat brimmed baseball cap wearin', saggy shorts saggin', jacked up pick-up truck drivin', wife beater sportin', MMA fightin' knucklehead when he gets older?

I hope not.

5 comments:

Judy said...

I think not. I think it's part of boy DNA - Logan does the same stuff. (And not just because we live in hunting country)

MamaSue said...

At the birth of her son my friend vowed, "There will be no guns in my house!" So he tore the legs of his sister's Barbie dolls and turned them into bazookas.

You see the obvious problem, of course; she should have banned Barbie dolls, as well.

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember a certain brother of mine playing with all things gun related. And he turned out great! Maybe just a little off but we love him anyway!

TimB said...

Your brother is a psycho!!!

Anonymous said...

You said it, not me!