Monday, November 3, 2008

What the Floss Did You Say?

I was listening to NPR tonight when they had a story about an upcoming Supreme Court case about the "F" word (FCC vs. Fox). I have to admit that I have been fascinated with the "F" word for some time now.

The "F" word has been around for a long time but didn't really enter into the lexicon in a big way until World War II. It's a word that can be used in every part of speech. It's a noun, a verb, an adjective, and an interjection. NPR couldn't say the word so they substituted "floss" for the nasty word.

I haven't been able to think about anything else since then.

"Go floss yourself ,you mother-flosser."

"Dude, you're flossed."

"Floss you!"

"Get the floss out."

"Floss the world." (for the punk dental hygienists)

And...

..."Want to floss?" (I prefer waxed)

I will never be able to hear "floss" again without snickering. Thanks NPR.

No comments: