Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Jackpot Millionaire

I used to fantasize about winning the lotto jackpot. I would think about all the things I could buy and do with the millions of dollars. I knew where I wanted to buy the first house (beach) and the second house (mountains), and what gasoline powered toys I wanted. We seldom bought tickets but it was still nice to think about sudden wealth and the changes it would bring to our lives.

It turns out the changes would not be positive. Many lotto winners find themselves in worse financial trouble than before they won. People get crazy when they can buy whatever they want. As I've gotten older I've realized that I can't really be trusted with the money I have now. What would I do with even more money?

I've decided the only way I could remain sane if I came into sudden wealth is to practice a reverse tithe. I would give away 90% of the money and keep the remaining 10% for my family. With the 90% I would give money to various charities including homeless shelters, scholarships for poor kids, my church, other churches, clean water projects for emerging countries, AIDS prevention and treatment, a private army in sub-Saharan Africa, inner-city ministries, and others.

As I have yet to win the lottery and it doesn't seem likely that I will, what do I do? Do I wait for the day when I come into sudden wealth or do I start tithing now? I think I can start now. I have a long way to go to climb up to 10% much less 90%. I better get moving.

No comments: