Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Car

Waiting for the ferry on Orcas Island, WA.


I would love to drive a Dodge 2500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins diesel with 35 inch tires. However, I would not like to pay for the fuel on such a vehicle. So I drive a station wagon.



Yep, I'm the dad who drives a station wagon. The Station Wagon Dad is a dying breed in our country. Very common in the Sixties and Seventies, the Station Wagon Dad, like pipe smoking and dressing up for dinner, has mostly disappeared from our country. The minivan put the first nail in the coffin of the station wagon and the SUV nailed the box shut. It got to the point where one could hardly find a station wagon to buy.



I don't like SUVs because they don't really have very much space in relation to the size of the vehicle. I am fine with minivans but Tabitha would never let me buy one. So I bought a station wagon.



My station wagon has plenty of room for our family of four. It has a nice dead cow interior. It has a turbo motor that hauls a** while delivering excellent gas mileage. It's a sweet ride.



The only fly in the ointment is that I drive it too much. Between my long commute, two trips to Montana, and a trip to Seattle my station wagon has 52,000 miles on it. I've only had it for about a year and a half. I love my car so much I'm going to wear it out.

No comments: