Friday, February 1, 2008

My First President

Hillary Clinton, in the Democratic primary debate the other night said:

"It did take a Clinton to clean up after the first Bush and I think it might take another one to clean up after the second Bush."

I won't defend the younger President Bush. But I get oddly defensive when people (especially Clintons) attack the elder Bush. I think it's because he's the first guy I ever voted for in a presidential election.

I was in Navy bootcamp during the election of 1988. I mailed in my absentee ballot and enjoyed my first taste of voting. I actually even had registered Democrat even though I was quite a bit more conservative than I am now.

George H.W. Bush sent me off to war and brought me home safely after six months. H.W. was placed in a difficult position when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait and performed admirably. H.W. was a victim of a stumbing economy and a misguided pledge of "no new taxes." There was no White House cleaning necessary.

Don't even get me started on H. Ross Perot.

I've always felt that George H.W. Bush was my boy. His son is kind of a tard but H.W. can do no wrong in my book.

1 comment:

ellieherrity said...

'kind of' a tard?

i would find other terms a bit more appropriate.

i have to agree about H.W., though. even though i couldn't vote until the '96 election, i think he did a pretty good job with what he was given.