Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Sun is Setting

My dad called last night to tell me that his Uncle Ramon was doing worse. His kidneys have failed and he is no longer responding to any treatment. They have checked him out of the hospital to take him home.

Uncle Ramon was married to my Grandma's step-sister, Nellie. Even though they were step-sisters, Vera and Nellie were closer than many biological sisters. Ramon and Nellie never lived more than a few miles from my grandparents. Nellie died a few years ago and my Grandma died last summer.

Uncle Ramon was an artist who specialized in pen and ink drawings. His work focused primarily on outdoor scenes. Several years ago he completed a series of drawings for Ironwood Christian Camp in Newberry Springs.

He was also proud of his Scottish heritage. He always wore his kilt to the family reunions. I remember wanting a kilt of my own.

I remember going to Ramon and Nellie's house for holidays. I can still picture the front stairs and the family room in the back.

Uncle Ramon was always cheerful with a twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face. Fortunately, he has passed his sense of humor to his children.

I will miss Uncle Ramon.

No comments: